Sunday, October 23, 2011

Before You Go, Can You Read My Mind?

When I was a kid I loved movies. It started with Disney's "Cinderella" and Dr. Suess' "How The Grinch Stole Christmas." It went on to be the Transformers movie and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other movie adaptations of cartoons I loved. Then came The Princess Bride, Watership Down, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Back To The Future. Then, when I was at my Uncle's house it really started to grow... I got to see Terminator 2: Judgement Day, tons of comedies and Jaws. I started to watch all the movies I could get a hold of or tape off of television. Con-Air, Air Force One, and one particular moment when my mom let me watch Twister which I had wanted to see with her in theaters but wasn't allowed. And so on and so forth. And then there is music, it was Christian rock for me for a while. DC Talk and the Newsboys and things my Mother liked, like Barry Manilo and Michael Bolton. I was, however surruonded by a lot of 80's music as I grew up around the houses and family members I did and that is what really started to form my first "Tatse" in music. Hall and Oats, Blondie, Eurythimics, Phil Collins; George Michael, Huey Lewis and The News, and of course "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by Bonnie Tyler and "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo,

All that being a little bit of backgroud for the understanding that when I talk about music and film it's something I'm passionate about. I'm passionate about it because I love stories, characters, and meaning. While I love comidies, it's doubtful you will find many if any at all on my favorite movies of all time list. (This does exclude wondersful comidies with depth such as The Princess Bride, Juno, or most things John Hughes wrote or anything that Wes Anderson has created.) Music tells a story and in music you just say how you feel. These ideas are very, very important to me. I seek to understand people and hear and understand where they are coming from. I believe telling a story is far more effective than providing the basic inromation which you are to imply. I feel like Jesus and His Father must feel the same way, seeing as how Jesus always said "The Kingdom of Heaven is like, (Insert story). And the Bible is full of them, so all that being the case, He must think that we can learn more through an experience than a lesson. I believe film (and of course, litterature) can do this. And then music allows you to say what you want and it doesn't matter if it's angry or mad or sad because you're singing it. And the really great singers sing it like they mean it, and when that happens, it can be the best stuff. 

I always liked it when singers yelled their lyrics. When Bonnie Tyler belts out "Love is like a shadow on me all of the time!" Or Phil Collins: "Take a look at me now. I'll still be standing here!" it gets to you. Or even the beautiful voice and lyrics that are sang with a upbeat tune from The Cure's Robert Smith. "Daylight wiped me inti shape. I must have been asleep for days. I moved my lips to breath her name and opened up my eyes and found myself alone, alone, alone above a raging sea, that stole the only girl I loved and drowned her deep inside of me." Those are some of the most beautiful and hearbreaking words I have ever heard sung. And it's okay. And feelings being okay is something I believe in very much for most everyone but myself. So I need to sing. I need it. And I believe considering 150 Psalms made the cut into the Bible including some that talk about how God has left David alone with his enemies surronding him.... I think that also says some wonderful things about our God. Not only that he likes music, but that it's okay to have feelings... Even the big scary, angry tearful ones.

I really didn't plan on going into all that. I was thinking of a song that I remember feeling so much at one point in my life and that caused me to think of how thankful I am for the work of Brandon Flowers and the band The Killers. He's one of those people who I would just love to sit down and talk to because I feel as though we would agree on a whole lot of things. Then it wound up into this little rant about how very much these things mean to me and why. Provided you read this far, thanks for listening to my story and feelings about stories and feelings. 

I hope you enjoy this and maybe you will feel this deep and pure inside your heart like I have and I suppose on some level, still do. God bless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment